Friday, January 24, 2014

Scout's Duty - Chapter 48

< Chapter 47                                                                                                   Chapter 49 >
Our hero charges down the corridor toward the closed hatch to the bridge!

The hatch to the bridge loomed large as I sped down the passageway.  My brain began yelling for me to stop before I slammed into the hatch.  Then the hatch slid aside and I burst onto the bridge.

Half a dozen pirates were directing the defense of the ship against Rupor and his boarding party.  Across the compartment, one more pirate stood guard over Martin and Megan.  Martin's hands were bound behind him, but Megan's hands were free.  The pirates must not have considered her to be a threat.

The closest pirate looked up at the sound of the hatch sliding open.  I swung my sword, slashing his throat as I charged past.  He collapsed to the deck, gurgling.  The remaining pirates stared at me in shocked disbelief.  Their hesitation only lasted for a second, but that was all I needed to cross the compartment.

I slammed into the pirate guarding Martin, driving my sword up into his chest and out his back.  Yanking the sword free, I dropped the laser pistol in Megan's lap.

"Free Martin.  I'm going to need his help real soon!"

Shouting in rage, the pirates drew their swords and converged on me.  At least one of my gambles had paid off.  The bridge was so packed with vital instruments that the pirates weren't willing to use their lasers.  I'd have felt more confident if I could have Boosted, too, but you can't have everything.

I moved away from Martin and Megan, drawing the pirates' attention with me.  Two of them came at me simultaneously, one from the right and one from ahead of me.  My sword flashed as I parried their thrusts, but I couldn't mount an attack.  Then a third pirate joined the fight and I felt cold steel plunge into my left shoulder!


Is this the beginning of the end for our hero?  Find out in Chapter 49, coming Monday!