Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Scout's Duty - Chapter 47

< Chapter 46                                                                                                   Chapter 48 >
The women on the pirate ship have agreed to help our hero if he goes to the pirate base and helps them rescue their husbands!

I shook my head.  "I don't have a working spaceship.  I wish there was something I could do but..."

"You know, all you had to do was tell us you'd do it and we wouldn't have known the difference until it was too late," the blond said.

My face must have given away my opinion of that course of action.

From among the gathered women, one said, "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful..."

Another added, "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty..."

The blond shook her head, a smile tugging at her lips.  "Are there any more men like you at home?"

"Which home?" I responded.  "I don't know about Terra, but on this planet there are whole armies like me."

"Good, we're going to need men like that to rescue our husbands!"

"But I just told you-"

The blond reached up and patted my cheek.  "Don't worry your handsome head over that.  If you can take this spaceship, we'll make her fly again!"

There was more to their story, but I could get the rest later -- after the pirates had been dealt with.  I said, "You've got a deal!  What I need most right now is to get to the bridge unseen."

"Already got that covered," called the woman at the vid station.  "I've been overriding the cameras in that passageway since you came aboard.  All they've seen outside the bridge is an empty passageway."

"Um, thanks."  I thought furiously for a second.  "Can you open the hatch to the bridge from here?"

Fingers danced over the makeshift control panel.  "I can now."

"Good.  Open it just before I reach it."


Opening the hatch behind, me I slipped into the passage.  Sword and laser at the ready, I charged full speed toward the bridge!

Will our hero face plant on the bridge hatch?  And, if he doesn't, what will he find on the pirate ship bridge?  Find out in Chapter 48, coming Friday!