Monday, January 20, 2014

Scout's Duty - Chapter 46

< Chapter 45                                                                                                   Chapter 47 >
Our hero is about to be discovered by the pirates!

The pounding of pirate footsteps grew louder and louder.  I raised the laser pistol I'd taken from Caudill's body and readied my sword.  So much for having the element of surprise when I reached the bridge!

With a soft sigh, the hatch behind me slid open and hands dragged me into the compartment!  I spun, sword raised to strike, as the hatch sighed shut again.  A single finger pressed against my lips.

"Shhh!"

A pretty, petite blond stood before me.  To one side of her stood a lovely brunette.  To the other, a stunning redhead.  Beyond them, a dozen more women eyed me warily.  All of them were armed with makeshift knives.

One woman, her eyes locked on a vid screen, said, "All clear!"

"You're the scout they've been talking about?" the blond asked.

"Yes," I said, looking around.  The women were all attractive and all dressed like lingerie models with no fashion sense.  Milo might like the look, but Callan had long since taught me the difference between skimpy and provocative attire.

"We didn't choose the clothes," the blond said, reading my expression.

"Of course," I nodded.  "You're all captives brought on board to entertain the crew?"

At her nod, my already considerable loathing for Caudill increased.  "If Caudill wasn't already dead, I'd kill him over this!"

"You killed Caudill?"

"No, my men killed Caudill.  I killed Orrons."

The redhead threw her arms around me and kissed my cheek.  "Thank you!"

"Orrons had a...thing...for redheads," the blond explained.  "Now, I assume you're trying to rescue your friends on the bridge?"

I nodded.

"We can help you with that, but in return you've got to help us rescue our husbands."

"Of course!" I said.  "Where are they being held?"

"Three wormhole jumps away, in Caudill's pirate base!”


Will the women still help our hero when they learn he doesn’t have a working spaceship?  Find out in Chapter 47, coming Wednesday!