Friday, November 15, 2013

Scout's Duty - Chapter 18

< Chapter 17                                                                                                   Chapter 19 >
The armored pirate commands our hero to bring Megan to the spaceship!

My mind raced, trying to figure out a way to keep Megan out of the spaceship.  Leave it to Tristan to find the right approach.

"How much medical experience do you have, young lady?" Tristan asked.

"I'm a musician, not a doctor," Megan retorted.  "How much experience have you got with the guitar?"

"I haven't played since my wife died," Tristan mused, "so no more than forty years."

Megan's eyes widened and her mouth hung slack.  I pushed down the temptation to reach over and close her mouth.

"The woman won't be any help with the wounded," I said to Orrons.  "Let me replace her with a properly trained airman."

Orrons was silent for a few seconds -- probably conferring with Caudill -- before booming, "No.  Captain Caudill wishes to meet her.  Uninjured members of our crew will assist the doctor."

Megan gave a triumphant smile.  Somehow, I refrained from calling her an idiot.  Then we trudged in silence until we worked clear of the debris and approached the spaceship.

I gave Tristan and Megan significant looks and said, "Remember, most of these people won't speak our language.  Ask Captain Bane to translate for you, since he comes from their civilization."

Megan gave me a puzzled glance.  "But don't you-"

Tristan stumbled and stepped on her foot.

"Ouch!" Megan yelped, glaring at Tristan.

"Oh, I am sorry, my dear!" he said.  "David, don't you think it will be awkward if I have to send for Captain Bane whenever I need a translator?"

"Good point.  I'll discuss it with both captains when we get inside."

When Orrons led us onto the bridge, Caudill's crew moved to block the hatch.  Orrons stepped aside and I realized something had gone seriously wrong.

Caudill stood behind Martin holding a fully charged blaster to Martin's head!

What caused this change in Martin’s circumstances?  Find out in Chapter 19, coming Monday!