Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Scout's Duty - Chapter 5


< Chapter 4                                                                                                   Chapter 6 >

David tells Martin a spaceship has come through the wormhole!

At my words, Megan snorted again.  Even muffled by Martin's hand, her opinion was quite clear.

"Does she know who you are, Martin?"

"Our relationship hasn't really advanced to such personal revelations."

"That explains a lot."  I turned to face the crowd.  "Clear a path!  We've leaving."

Some moved aside but one man planted himself in front of me.  "Didn't you hear what she called our princess?  We can't forgive an insult like that!"

"Yes, I heard.  And if I can forgive the singer, so can you," I said.  "After all, I'm married to the princess."

The man's eyes widened and he stepped aside.  "Forgive me, sir!"

"Nothing to forgive."  I clapped him on the shoulder.

Outside, I began filling Martin in on the spaceship's arrival.  With Martin's hand no longer covering her mouth, Megan kept trying to interrupt with questions.  I plowed ahead with my explanation, overriding her questions.  I'll say this for her, she didn't give up easily.

"So," Megan said when I stopped speaking, "you're heading off after one of these 'spaceships' you claim to have arrived in?"

I was tired of listening to the woman and waved for Martin to respond.

"Yes, that's exactly what we're doing, Megan," Martin said.  "I must say that you're quite cynical for one so young."

"Travel as much as I have and you'd be cynical, too!" Megan replied.

It was my turn to snort.  "I've been on seven other inhabited worlds and traveled extensively on this world, yet I'm not cynical in the least."

"No doubt due to the rapture of true love."  Megan's voice was drier than the desert where I'd crashed.

I stopped at the palace gate.  "You're safe now, Megan.  Run along home!"

"And miss out on the great spaceship hunt?  Nope, I'm coming with you!"

How will David respond to Megan's demand?  Find out in Chapter 6, coming Friday!