Monday, October 14, 2013

Scout's Duty - Chapter 4


< Chapter 3                                                                                                   Chapter 5 >

In a tavern, an angry mob threatens Martin and a woman!

Unable to be heard over the crowd noise, I was going to have to get to the stage before I could get their attention.  My guards were still assessing the situation when I plunged into the crowd and began worming my way toward the stage.  Then a thrown bottle smashed inches from the head of the woman.

Boost!

Remembering how Martin had leapt over the line of Tartegian guards the year before, I tried leaping over the crowd.  It didn't work so well.  Finding myself about to come down in the crowd, I pushed off from a couple of sturdy shoulders, completed a flip, and landed next to Martin.  The mob fell silent and I dropped Boost.

"What is the meaning of this?" I demanded.  "How dare you attack this woman!"

A voice from the crowd called, "We was provoked!"  A chorus of voices added "Yeah!" and "Right!"

"How could a woman with a guitar provoke such violence?"  No one answered.  "Martin, care to fill me in?"

"Megan chose to sing some songs currently popular in Tarteg," he said.  "She led off with Rupor's Lament."

"Never heard of it."

"The song questions David Rice's off-world origins."  Megan snorted at this and Martin gave a half smile.  "But the real trouble started when the song called Princess Callan a rude name.  It...ah...rhymes with rich."

Even this brought mutters from the crowd.  Megan made it worse by saying, "It's true and you know it!"

I stepped between Megan and the crowd just in case another bottle was thrown.  "Martin, can you shut her up?  We've got more important matters to deal with!"

"No one shuts me-"

Martin clamped a hand over Megan's mouth and picked her up.  "What's going on?"

"Another ship has come through the wormhole!"

Can David and Martin get Megan safely out of the tavern?  Find out in Chapter 5, coming Wednesday!