Monday, October 28, 2013

Scout's Duty - Chapter 10

< Chapter 9                                                                                                   Chapter 11 >
Martin believes the crashed ship belongs to space pirates!

"I believe you, Bane," drawled Rupor.  "Vermin always recognize their own kind."

"You're not helping, Rupor," I said.  "If Martin is right, we're all in serious trouble."

"It's only one ship," Rupor scoffed.

"You wouldn't say that if you knew how powerful that ship is," Martin growled.

"Then enlighten me," Rupor replied.

"Whoever commands that spaceship, rules this world," Martin said.

"You must be joking!"

"Do I look like I'm joking, Rupor?  If these are pirates, our only hope of stopping them will be to get at least one person into their good graces and wait for the opportunity to strike."

"Oh ho!  Now the plot comes clear!" Rupor cried.  "You-"

I clapped a hand over Rupor's mouth and an arm around his throat.  "I'm sorry, Your Highness, but we don't have time for this bickering.  Martin, what's your plan?"

"Assuming there are survivors, I'm going to try to make contact with the crew," Martin said.  "If they're not pirates, great.  If they are pirates, I'll try to use my scout training and my old reputation as a raider to join them."

"What about Rupor and me?" I asked.

"If these are pirates, they must not learn you're also a scout, David.  A hero who can fly their ship will be too much of a threat.  They'd kill you without a second thought."

"So I pretend to be a local?" I asked.

Martin nodded.  "That includes pretending like you don't speak their language."  At my nod, Martin turned to Rupor.  "Prince, you must cooperate or these men may kill us all!"

Rupor nodded as well, so I released him.

"You two stay here," Martin said then picked his way to the ship's airlock.  He opened the airlock controls.  Seconds later, the airlock door slid open and Martin stepped inside. 


What will happen to Martin?  Find out in Chapter 11, coming Wednesday!