Friday, September 20, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 86


< Chapter 85                                                                                                   Chapter 87 >

Callan and David have been reunited, but is the adventure over?

Callan

David held me tightly, his scent overwhelming my senses and his body slick with sweat and blood.

"Is any of this blood yours, David?" I asked.

"None," he said, "or not much.  I just got a few scratches."

"Yes, your Wonder Boy is unharmed," drawled Martin from behind David.  "That's more than some of us can say."

I looked around my husband and gasped at the sight of Martin's mangled hand.  "We've got to take Martin to Tristan!  He's waiting on the Pauline not far from here."

I took David's hand and started back down the tunnel.  David did not come along with me.

"You and Milo take Martin to Tristan," David said.  "The trogs and I have to finish business down here."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"Remember, Callan, David swore to kill King Rat," Martin said.  "Something about making sure the city-states were free of the rat boy's influence.  You know, typical noble stuff like that.  What irks me is David thinks I'd let him do this alone just because a tammar scratched my hand."

"The right word is 'mauled,' Martin," David said.

"Whatever.  I came down here to get you," Martin said.  "I'm not leaving unless you come with me!"

"Fine," David sighed.  "Callan, you and Milo-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, David Rice!" I snapped.  "If you've got to kill this King Rat then let's go do it.  The sooner he's dead, the sooner we can go home!"

David met my gaze for a few seconds then said, "Right.  I'm getting tired of dark tunnels anyway."

Milo grinned and gave me a thumb's up.  The Great One chuffed, a sound I'd come to recognize as trog laughter.

David led us back down the tunnel to find and kill King Rat.

Does David have the energy left to fight a fresh King Rat?  Find out in Chapter 87, coming Monday!