Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 85


< Chapter 84                                                                                                   Chapter 86 >

David and Martin appear to have King Rat's men on the run until they spot signs reinforcements are closing in!

Callan

The Great One led the way down the tunnels.  He'd stop every now and then to listen and to sniff the air.  I don't know if he really could smell something or if he was just trying to make us think he could.  Either way, we didn't seem to be getting any closer to the fighting.

Sound echoed strangely in the tunnels.  If only someone would yell or call out, the sound might echo differently.

"For Callan and country!"

It was David's voice!  He was alive!

"For Martin and Mordan!"

Martin was alive, too!

The sound came most clearly from a tunnel to our right.

"Great One -- this way!"

Milo and I stood aside as the trogs charged into the tunnel.

"Callan?"

"Yes, Milo?"

"Permission to laugh at David and Martin for those battle cries?"

"Assuming we all survive, permission granted," I replied.  "Want to bet on whose idea they were?"

"Only if I can bet on Martin."

"No bet," I said, falling in behind the last of the trogs.

The sounds of battle were growing louder.  We were heading in the right direction!  The Great One reached a bend in the tunnel, raised his spear, gave a ferocious cry, and charged into battle!

Unbidden, the desert battle with the trogs rose in my memory.  Again, I heard the savage cries of the trogs.  Again, I saw men fight and die for me.  Again, I stepped forward to fight at Rob's side when all appeared lost.  Again, I saw David charge into my life.

"Don't you dare die on me, David Rice!" I yelled as loudly as I could.

Surrounded, King Rat's remaining men surrendered.  And then David pushed through the crowd and swept me into his arms.  His lips met mine.  Again, my life was complete!

Is this the happy ending to this adventure?  Find out in Chapter 86, coming Friday!