Friday, July 26, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 62


< Chapter 61                                                                                                   Chapter 63 >

Outside of the city of Beloren, Callan continues her search for trogs.

Callan

Milo hoisted my flag as we sped past the Mordanian squadron patrolling north of Beloren.

"Will they see it, Your Highness?" Milo asked.

"They better!"  I replied.  "And you can use my name when we're in private, Milo."

"I can't do that when we're flying your flag, Your Highness," Milo grinned.

"Then take it down, wretched child!" I affected my best royal tone.  "The squadron is getting under way."

For the next five hours, Tristan watched for indications of desert tribe camps.  All I saw was desert, but Tristan guided us unerringly to a camp.  The tribesmen didn't like having the squadron hovering overhead.  The squadron commander didn't like the idea of me meeting the tribesmen without a bunch of airmen acting as guards.  At least everyone was equally unhappy.

I stood next to Tristan as he spoke with the tribal leaders.  The leaders gestured wildly as they spoke and Tristan did the same when he replied.  Then an older tribesman gestured toward me.  Tristan responded energetically.  The tribesman gestured to me again.  This went on for a couple of minutes.

"What's the hold up, Tristan?" I finally asked.

"The elder wants to, uh...buy you.  He's looking for a wife for his youngest son."

"I'm not for sale."  I said that to the tribesman.

"So I've told him.  He keeps raising his offer.  He's up to two horses, a herd of goats, and a tent."

"I'm flattered," I said.  "Tell him I'm married to a great warrior.  Tell them about David's battles with the trogs or something."

Excited chatter broke out among the tribesmen after Tristan finished speaking.

Tristan turned a stunned face to me.  "They've heard of David.  He's known as the Hand of Death."

"Who told the tribes about him?" I asked.

"The trogs did."

Humans and trogs talking to each other?  It's unheard of!  Find out more in Chapter 63, coming Monday!