Monday, July 22, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 60


< Chapter 59                                                                                                   Chapter 61 >

David leads Martin and Raoul off into the dark tunnels of King Rat's doman!

David

Martin and I would have been hopelessly lost in the dark tunnels without our implants.  Every turn and twist was added to maps recorded by the implants.  We could find our way back to King Rat's court if we had to, but that was all we could do.  For my plan to work at all, we needed to learn the layout of the rest of the occupied areas and any surrounding areas.  In short, we needed to know the tunnels better than the tunnel rats did.

We spent hours skirting the edges of tunnel rat territory, replacing burned out torches with new ones from wall sconces as needed.  The tunnel rats didn't live in as much squalor as I had expected.  There was food storage, a big kitchen, a communal dining area, rooms for sleeping, slave quarters, and even a nursery for the children.  I hadn't expected to find children, but I shouldn't have been surprised.  All human cultures reproduce.

"There are a lot more people down here than I expected," Martin said after we had retreated into unused tunnels.

"Why haven't you gotten me out of here?" Raoul whined.

"Shut up, Raoul," Martin and I said in unison.

"I'd guess close to a thousand people, counting children and slaves," I said.  "Do you think we can count on the slaves to help us?"

"Maybe.  If they haven't given up hope.  But don't build any plans around their support."

"Now that we've got an idea of the layout, it's time for the next step in my plan," I said.

"There's a next step?" Martin asked.

"I came up with it while we were exploring," I said.  "You'll like it."

"Maybe," Martin said.  "That depends on the new addition to the plan."

I grinned.  "We're going to be raiders!"
.
As Martin Bane returns to his raiding ways, Callan searches for a trog settlement.  Find out what she discovers in Chapter 61, coming Wednesday!