Friday, July 12, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 56


< Chapter 55                                                                                                   Chapter 57 >

As Callan flies from Beloren, David and Martin are locked in a pitch dark cell, prisoner of King Rat!

David

"That's your plan?" Martin asked.  It was pitch dark, so I couldn't see him.  I imagined him shaking his head in dismay.

"No," I said, "that's my scheme.  I told you I wouldn't go so far as to call it a plan!"

"I like it!" Raoul piped up.  "Especially the part where you kill the rat king for mistreating me so badly!"

"There, if Raoul likes the plan it must be bad!" Martin said.

"If you've got a better plan, I'm all ears," I said.

Martin was silent for a while then asked, "What makes you think it'll work?"

"The tunnel rats don't know about Boost," I said.

"So we Boost, jump the guards, take their weapons, and fade into tunnels," Martin said.  "Then we make a few hit-and-fade raids and watch for a chance to take out King Rat.  But what do we do with Raoul?"

"We take him with us," I sighed.  "Not even Raoul deserves to be eaten alive by a tammar.  Besides, he'll warn the guards if we don't take him."

"And I can fight with you!" Raoul added.

"Only if we're truly desperate," Martin said.

With that, we had nothing else to do but wait.  Scouts taught how to stave off boredom and remain alert while waiting for something to happen but I'd never been good at it.  I was even worse in the current situation.  I was greatly relieved when I finally heard footsteps approaching.  Seconds later, dim light shone along the bottom of the door and we heard a key turn in the lock.

Seven men -- more than I was expecting -- stepped into the room.  One balanced three bowls on a tray.  The other six held swords.  In the dim light, I gave a nod to Martin.

Boost!

Where will Callan flee to?  Can David and Martin take down six armed guards?  Find out more in Chapter 57, coming Monday!