Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 43

< Chapter 42                                                                                                   Chapter 44 >
Our heroes return to their chambers to spend one last night together.

David

You'd think it would be easy for a man to retreat to his chambers to spend time with his wife.  This should be especially true when the man is going away the next morning.  I had a palace full of people show me how wrong I was.

The first knock came seconds after I'd pulled Callan into an embrace.  Callan began to pull away but I tightened my grip on her.

"Ignore it, dear," I said.  "After a while, they'll get the idea and go away!"

They not only didn't go away, they called through the door, "Callie?  David?  Please let us in!"

Callan's parents.  I knew they wanted grandchildren.  You'd think they would give us a chance -- perhaps our last chance -- to try to give them one.  When Callan pulled away this time, I released her.

Her parents offered consolation.  They offered to go to war with the city-states.  They did not offer to leave us alone.  By the time they finally left, others had come by to do the same.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to say goodbye to Tristan and Nist.  I wanted to tousle Milo's hair and to make sure he and Kim were settling into palace life.  I wanted to ask Martin about Beloren's tunnel rats.  But I had intended to do all that in the morning.  I could have happily done without seeing the rest of the palace population.

It took hours to clear our chambers.  And then I had Callan all to myself.

The next morning, we went to the palace docks.  I kissed Callan one last time, saying, "I will be back, Callan."

"You'd better be," she whispered fiercely.

I boarded the Beloren airship and left behind all I knew and loved in this world.


What awaits David in Beloren?  How will Callan react to the loss of David?  Find out more in Chapter 44, coming Friday!