Friday, June 14, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 44


< Chapter 43                                                                                                   Chapter 45 >

The envoy from Beloren is taking David away.

Callan

I had promised myself I would not cry before David.  I kept that promise until the palace guards formed up along David's path.  Their swords flashed, forming an arch for him to walk under.  Tears welled up in my eyes, blurring my vision.  I blinked them away, only to have them return.

David cast a final look at me but was too far away to see my tears.  The Beloren airmen took him below deck and cast off.  The airship rose and my love was carried away like a leaf on the wind.

Turning back to the palace, I wasn't surprised to find my parents standing behind me.  Without a word, they gathered me into their arms.  I released my grief and sobbed as I had not done since I was a little girl.

Sometime later, I kissed my parents on their cheeks, offered a brave smile, and walked back to the chambers David and I shared.  Everyone I met along the way bowed or saluted, showing respect for my grief.  I smiled and nodded to each of them and was relieved when I reached our chambers.

When I entered, Martin was leaning casually against the balcony door, his arms folded.  Tristan, Nist, and Milo were with him.

"He's gone," I whispered.

Martin said, "You didn't ask us to meet you here just to tell us that."

"No, I didn't," I said.  "I need a fast airship and a daring pilot.  I need a doctor who knows the desert.  I need a boy who knows life on a city's streets.  And I need a reformed raider who knows Beloren's darkest secrets."

I looked them each in the eye, "I'm going after David and I can't do it alone.  Are you with me?"

Martin said, "Damn right we're with you!"

What is Callan's plan?  What awaits David in Beloren?  Find out more in Chapter 45, coming Monday!