Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 25

< Chapter 24                                                                                                   Chapter 26 >
Time is running out before the airship with Rupor and Raoul arrives!

Freed, Her Majesty observed, "You carry Captain Vonsteader's sword, young man."

"I'm afraid Rob lost his life defending Princess Callan," I said.  "He gave me the sword before he died."

The queen bowed her head, "Callie must be devastated."

"She hides it well and recent events have kept her busy," I said as we started up the passage.

"The raider who's coming, is it Bane?" the queen asked.

"No," I said.  "A lot has happened since the kidnapping, Your Majesty.  Martin Bane currently works for your daughter."

The queen stopped walking, "Surely you jest!  Callie would never do such a thing."

"Callan needed someone to fight a trog invasion of southern Mordan," I said.  "She hired Martin.  Considering what he did for Faroon, I expect the city will build a statue in his honor."

Eyes wide, the queen stared at me.  She looked to be wondering if I really was who claimed to be.  I should have kept my answers short and simple, maybe then I wouldn't have made her suspicious.  Taking the queen gently by the arm, I urged her along.

"We've got to keep moving, Your Majesty," I said.  "Time is short."

She took reluctant steps and we moved slower than I'd have preferred, but at least we were moving.  We were thirty feet from the hallway that led to the Pauline when I heard voices.

We stopped and listened.  There could be no mistaking the voice.

"What else was I supposed to do, Rupor?" Raoul said.  "Mother-"

"Shut up," Rupor said.  "Your ineptitude forced me to act."

The queen's face lit up and she called, "Rupor!  Raoul!  Save me from this raider!"

Boots clattered on stone as my enemies rushed toward us!

How can our hero rescue the queen when she doesn't trust him?  And what will happen when Rupor and Raoul see him?  Find out in Chapter 26, coming Friday!