Friday, March 15, 2013

Scout's Oath - Chapter 5

< Chapter 4                                                                                                     Chapter 6 >

Deep in the copper mine, our hero is trying to jump across a sinkhole.

I could tell I wasn't going to reach the far lip of the sinkhole and, if the bottom of the sinkhole was closer than my rope was long, I was in for a world of hurt.  Then I saw I would reach the far side of the shaft, if not the lip.

Maintaining Boost, I drove the pick into the shaft wall and swung my legs up so I didn't crash into the wall.  I dropped Boost.

"Yee ha!" Jim called.  "You got guts, son.  Scramble on up and tie off the rope fer me."

Easy for Jim to say, but I found I could dig out hand and foot holds without too much effort.  A few minutes later, Jim pulled himself across and on we went.

Jim got talkative after my jump, filling our walk with tales of the mines and the miners.  It filled the time until Jim pointed to a tunnel.

"This here's the one you want."

"Thanks," I said.  "You head on back to the airship, now."

"Nah, I gotta see how yer gettin' through t'other mine.  'Sides, I knows where you oughta make yer hole."

I wasn't about to turn down expert advice.  "Show me."

Ten minutes later, Jim and I dug out a two foot deep hole in the tunnel wall.  Then I pulled out the Onesie.  Jim watched, curious, as I broke down the gun and set the power supply to overload.  The whine was building as I stuffed it in the hole and scooped dirt in behind it.  Grabbing Jim by the arm, I ran back up the tunnel.

The gun blew and I waited for the dust to settle.  Had we made a back door into the silver mine?

Will our hero have the backdoor he needs?  Find out in Chapter 6, coming Monday!