Monday, December 24, 2012

Scout's Honor - Chapter 91

< Chapter 90                                                                                               Chapter 92 >

The trog translator appears to be a man known to both Callan and Martin Bane and also thought to be long dead.

            "Who is Ardan Windslow?" I asked.
            Bane bowed to Callan, gesturing for her to speak first.
            "Remember the kidnapping attempt I told you about?" she asked.  "When Rob earned his sword?"
            "Of course," I said.
            "Windslow was captain of the palace guard at that time.  The plotting lords bribed him to oversee the kidnapping," Callan said.  "The lords attempted to lay most of the blame on Windslow.  All were executed except Windslow, who managed to escape with some petty criminal."
            Comprehension dawned.
            "Martin, are you the 'petty criminal' in Callan's tale?" I asked.
            Callan whipped around in surprise, catching Bane's slow nod.
            "We were in the same cell," he said.  "He had an escape plan, but it took two men.  I was awaiting execution, of course I agreed to help!  Once we were free, Windslow entered an inn to arrange passage out of the country.  I kept watch from an alley.  Eventually, I went looking for him and found his headless body in a back room."
            "Are you sure it was him?" I asked.
            "I didn't take time to investigate," Bane said.  "Right clothes, right build, I assume it was Windslow.  Now, I'm not so sure."
            Callan said, "The lords always claimed Windslow recruited them, though none believed it."
            "Is it possible Windslow was working with Tarteg at the time?" I asked.
            "There were rumors," Callan said.  "But that was sixteen years ago!"
            "Grudges can last a lifetime," I said.  "And everything that's happened lately has distracted the king and queen, dispersing the Mordanian navy, and given Tartegian airships a valid reason to patrol Mordanian skies."
            Callan's face hardened, "And it's only been possible because of my betrothal to Rupor!"

Could everything from the betrothal to the kidnapping to the trog invasion to the disappearance of the king and queen be part of a complex Tartegian plot?  Find out more in chapter 92, coming Wednesday!