Friday, June 29, 2012

Scout's Honor - Chapter 15


< Chapter 14                                                                                                        Chapter 16 >
Leaping away from a raider blade, the princess falls over the side of the airship and plummets toward the ground, over a hundred meters below!

            The princess's eyes, wide with terror, locked on mine as I lunged out to intercept her fall.
            Boost!
            Her flailing hands would have been impossible for me to catch without the added speed and strength of the Boost.  I caught her wrist at the last possible second but her momentum began dragging us both down the line.  A scream tore from the princess's lips, but I wrapped my legs around the line, stopping our descent..
            Pulling her up, I said, "Wrap your arms around my neck."
            Mastering her terror, she did as I instructed.  "Hold tight, Highness, we're going up very fast."
            With Boosted strength and agility, I swarmed up the line faster than any monkey.  Shortly, we were over rail and safely on the deck.  I sat the princess well away from the rail, drew my sword, and raced to Rob's aid.
            I crashed into the raiders like a human battering ram, knocking two over the rail and sending the rest flying across the deck.  Rob, whose back had been to our ascent, stared at me in astonished relief.
            "Her Highness-" he began.
            "Safe," I said, pointing behind me.  Then I attacked the remaining six raiders.  They were better fighters than the blue men I'd fought earlier -- could it just be yesterday? -- but there were only six and I had Rob at my side.  Less than a minute later, the last raider fell to the deck.
            Pain slammed into me as the Boost cut off, but this time I remained conscious.  So, I was entirely aware when the princess -- the betrothed princess -- flew into my arms and kissed me passionately on the lips!

A beautiful woman has thrown herself into David's arms.  What's a man to do?  Find out in Chapter 16, coming Monday.